Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Worst. Idea. Ever.

So...remember when I said that this was my breakfast 60% of the time? Well, conveniently JUST as I wrote about it, in the last week it's really started to feel like summer around here and well, oatmeal isn't really the type of thing you want to eat on a hot day. Well, yesterday I read this article and thought to myself "what a brilliant idea! I can still have my daily oatmeal, in granola form!" So last night when I got home from work I whipped up a batch of granola with my basic oatmeal ingredients - rolled oats, almonds and walnuts (I had some kicking around as well) and dried cranberries. And man, was I patting myself on the back once it was finished. It looked, smelled and tasted SO good. Genius, right?

Well, this moring I decided to have a bowl of this awesome granola with some milk and what happened? I CHIPPED A TOOTH.

Okay, so I should really mention that I had a moment of slight panic during the granola-making where I realized my granola wasn't really "clumping" and whipped up a quick crumble-esque mix to add to the mixture. (I did read a few comments about this around the web that this doesn't happen so much with homemade granola anyway but would I have that? noooo) These ended up being quite crunchy and probably what led to the aforementioned tooth incident.

Anyway, needless to say I was quite disgusted with myself and am no longer so impressed with said granola. Though really, that shouldn't stop you from making it. It really IS delicious. And easy! Just don't freak out about the lack of clumps. Your teeth will thank you later.


Cranberry-Almond (and Walnut) Granola

Granola, like oatmeal, is incredibly versatile in that you can really add whatever you want to it. Overall you're looking for about 1/2 cup of wet mix to 4 cups of dry mix.

Dry Mix
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking scottish oats (you can use any variation of oats here, I just ran out of rolled oats)
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup walnuts

Wet Mix
1/8 cup canola oil (you can use any type of oil here)
1/3 cup honey
1 tbsp molasses
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 250 degrees Farenheit

1. Combine dry mix together and spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet (I used the Silpat)
2. Mix wet mix together until combined, and drizzle over dry mix; stir gently to combine
3. Bake in preheated oven for about 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes
4. Remove from oven and stir in dried cranberries while mix is still warm.
5. Once cool, store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment